There has been a place of worship to St Matthew the apostle on this site since the 4th Century. During the eighteenth century the church underwent two alterations. Between 1715 and 1723 the ancient building was doubled in length and enlarged in half with an octagonal body covered by a vast dome.
Thirty years later, a new and more surprising enlargement of the structure begins; the necessary space is obtained with the excavation of the Poggio hill, located to the north of the ancient building. The works take place between 1754 and 1781 designed by the Ticino architect (from Lugano) Gio Domenico Baguti. The result is the current Greek-cross building. On the sides of the baroque façade are two bell towers of deliberately different heights. The bell tower of the west (43.6 m) built thanks to the fishermen's offering, is higher than the eastern bell tower (43 m) erected at the expense of the Patrons, to give greater evidence to the offers of the less well-off.
Location: Laigueglia Liguria Italy
Photographer: ©Keith Bailey SceneItSnappedIt Photographic